Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Caller ID, Soggy Chicken Nuggets, & No Frills Sandwich Cookies

It's amazing when you think back over the last twenty years or so how far we've come, technologically speaking.  I can easily remember the days when everyone didn't have a cell phone.  I can easily remember the days when everyone didn't have a computer.   Kids growing up today aren't going to remember the days when everyone didn't have a computer on their cell phone.

The truth is, I can easily remember those days because, actually, they weren't that long ago.  My family was always a little charmingly antiquated.  We didn't have cable TV until all the Yankee games officially went over to the dark side (MSG back then, YES today) and we didn't have a microwave until 2001.  I was certain my parents were just being difficult by not allowing my siblings and me to partake in the wonders of the modern world, like Caller ID ("You can SEE who's calling you!") and Super Nintendo ("But Mom!  Regular Nintendo is so boring now!  We've totally beaten all the forty-seven games that we have.") 

Same thing with food.  Growing up, we always wanted name-brand snacks and cookies, victims of Saturday morning cartoon commercials.  But instead of Oreos, we got Pathmark No Frills Sandwich Cookies.  Instead of Frosted Flakes, we got Pathmark No Frills Sugared Corn Cereal.  And instead of Cheetos, we got (you guessed it) Pathhmark No Frills Cheese Curls.  They all came in packages big enough to feed the state of Wyoming.  About halfway through, and sick of, the package of cookies that wouldn't end, my brother and I would try to open something new, but my dad would catch us, saying, "Isn't there already a pack of cookies open?  Finish those first." 

But now, as a semi-rational-thinking adult, I can see that they were being smart with their money by not spending it on frivilous things that we woudn't remember ten minutes later, much less ten years later.  And you know what?  We survived.  My brother and I would listen to Yankee games on the radio, and our chicken nuggets may have taken a little longer to cook in a conventional oven, but at least they were nice and crispy instead of microwave-soggy.  Even more important, they were able to use the money they saved on Cocoa Puffs to take us on vacations and pay off their mortgage. 

I sometimes wish the adult me could take a page from the book of my parents when it comes to finances.  However, I am trying my best.  If you look in my cupboard, you will see lots of America's Choice brand food.  And I always finish a pack of cookies before opening a new one.

But the Frosted Flakes?  I splurge on those.  Sometimes you just have to spoil yourself.

5 comments:

  1. Brings back many memories...do you still take just three cookies???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is a wonderful tribute to your parents.

    Isn't it amazing that the older you get, the smarter your parents become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to your cable and microwave issues with my parents. I LISTENED to Yankee games and had to wait forever for my food to be cooked in an oven. And I remember calling people and actually getting busy signals-no call waiting!The good ol days. My first cell was a ginormous motorola flip that only made and received calls...woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your feedback, ladies. Barbara, I actually limit myself to 2 cookies now. when you're a kid you think, "I wish I could eat all the cookies I want." And now that I'm an adult I have to limit myself! Anita, that is so true and I am finding that out more and more lately. Renee, my first cell phone was the free one I got when I signed up for T mobile and to this day it is still functional; it's probably the most reliable phone I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Liz, I always see your blog when I'm on facebook on my phone( yea I know its addicting!) but glad I could finally see it when on my computer and become a follower. Keep up the great work!! I've extended my cookie limit to 4 because I swear they're constantly getting smaller!

    ReplyDelete